Oxygen intake is often the limiting factor for cell growth in the cultivation of microorganisms in Erlenmeyer flasks on a vibrating board or orbital shaker. The movement causes a liquid sickle to form when using DURAN® Erlenmeyer flasks on a vibrator. The size of the sickle depends on the speed of the board and the vibration diameter. The greater the surface area of the contents, the greater the gas exchange area and therefore the potential oxygen intake. The speed and the associated oxygen intake can, however, only be increased to a limited extent. The new DURAN® baffled flask with four baffles on the bottom disrupts the laminar flow and produces a turbulent flow. The surface area of the liquid and the gas exchange area are increased, thereby increasing the oxygen intake. Laboratory trials have demonstrated that the oxygen intake is doubled by the baffles compared to a standard DURAN® Erlenmeyer flask. The Erlenmeyer flasks with baffles from the DWK Life Sciences can be geometrically reproduced due to completely automated and mechanical production. The wall thickness of the flasks was increased to achieve an excellent mechanical stability and to guarantee a long service life of the products. The special production process enables the manufacture of the product complete with thread in a two-stage process. The flasks can therefore be sealed with the tried-and-tested membrane screw cap from the DWK Life Sciences. This enables a reproducible gas exchange compared to other sealing mechanisms e.g. sealing with cotton wool. Due to the baffles incorporated in the product, a solution to be shaken breaks on it and oxygen is introduced into the solution.
- Four baffled-bottom flasks cause a turbulent flow, increase the gas exchange surface and produce a higher oxygen transfer
- At higher shaking speeds, the baffles increase aeration for better growth, especially with bacteria
- The moulded bottom-baffles provide increased movement at lower speeds for a more gentle medium aeration of sensitive cultures
- The flasks can therefore be sealed with the tried-and-tested membrane screw cap from the DWK Life Sciences which enables a reproducible gas exchange compared to other sealing mechanisms e.g. sealing with cotton wool
- The flasks are manufactured in a fully automated process to provide totally consistent flask shapes leading to highly reproducible experimental conditions and results
- The special production process enables the manufacture of the product complete with thread in a two-stage process
- Available in range of three sizes for process scale up
- The increased wall thickness of the flasks ensures excellent mechanical stability and a long service life.
- Easy-to-read scale with graduation marks to estimate the content
- Fired-on, highly durable white print
|Catalog No||Capacity (mL)||d Diameter (OD) (mm)||h Height (mm)||DIN Thread (GL)|
There are no reviews yet